You can achieve what you believe

ask the expert banner

How do I explain a 2-year employment gap due to work visa issues?

by Nithya

My Name is Nithya, I was out of work for 2 years. I was working in India before 2 years, after my marriage I quit my job and came to USA since my husband is working in USA.

I had only 8 months visa, when applied for work permit I got for 6 months. But when I started searching for job, my husband got transferred from that state (Now I am in different state).

My visa and work permit got expired. I was in USA with my husband petition (I 94) for 1 year without work permit. So I was not able to search for a job.

Now I have a work permit for working in USA but I don't know how to explain my employment gap. I was learning and brushing up some technical skills by myself during the gap period. Please let me know your answer.


ANSWER: You can use your cover letter to explain the gap, pretty much as you have above to me, but more concise.

Click here to post comments

Return to Archived Employment Gaps Questions.

For "Ask the Expert" question categories, follow these links:

Resume Questions Other Questions:

Share YOUR job hunting horror stories with our readers!

Here are some more pages you might be interested in...

Search This Site:

Site Sponsors

See our Advertising Policy


Need help making a professional resume? Check out this fabulous online resume builder!

Click here to get professional resume help online

Job Seekers'
Power Pack!

job seekers power pack picture

Grab your copy of these 5 concise reports about every aspect of the job hunt. Don't miss this opportunity to change your life for the better!

Check it out NOW

Please, help this site continue running by donating $5.00

Keep Up to Date

Follow us on our Facebook Fan Page Follow our updates on Twitter
Subscribe to my careers blog Subscribe to our site changes in your feed reader

Learning Library

[?] Subscribe To This Site

follow us in feedly
Add to My Yahoo!
Add to My MSN
Subscribe with Bloglines